Published by the Center for the Study of The Great Ideas (founded in 1990 by Mortimer J. Adler and Max Weismann)
In association with the The Adler-Aquinas Institute and Aquinas School of Leadership
A Founding Member of the Alliance for Liberal Learning

Monday, April 9, 2007

[I seem to be posting nothing but videos. Here's one more - I hope some of you are enjoying them. - Mark Brawner]

I remember when David Denby's book Great Books: My Adventures with Homer, Rousseau, Woolf and Other Indestructible Writers of the Western World came out in '96, but I never got around to reading it. I think all I did was glance at the index for mentions of Adler and Hutchins (none). Anyhow, it had escaped me that the gist of the book is Denby describing his experience of going back, in his late forties, to his alma mater Columbia to re-take the Core Curriculum Great Book seminars.

I just found what I think is a wonderfully entertaining guest appearance on Booknotes back around the time of the publication of his book. (Video clip and transcript.)

No comments:

Post a Comment