Published by the Center for the Study of The Great Ideas (founded in 1990 by Mortimer J. Adler and Max Weismann)
In association with the The Adler-Aquinas Institute and Aquinas School of Leadership
Member of the Alliance for Liberal Learning

Saturday, September 26, 2015

They're not all winners in my book

Rita Allens, director of Shelbyville-Bedford County Library, at the Shelbyville Times-Gazette,
"Your library board chairperson, Vicki McCord, and I were laughing about some of the "great books" that we really, in truth, hadn't particularly enjoyed.
[...]
"In college as a literature major, I tried valiantly to read as many classics from the assigned reading lists as I could. I loved Charles Dickens but that Herman Melville seminar was grueling! Pages and pages about rendering whale blubber."

No comments:

Post a Comment