Published by the Center for the Study of The Great Ideas (founded in 1990 by Mortimer J. Adler and Max Weismann)
In association with the The Adler-Aquinas Institute and Aquinas School of Leadership
A Founding Member of the Alliance for Liberal Learning

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Indifference creates our own version of hell

Joseph Woitko Sr. wrote this letter to the editor of the Hazleton, Pennsylvania Standard-Speaker.
"I haven’t been in the cellar of my dad’s old garage in more than 50 years. Several years ago, I noticed that burglars had smashed open the cellar door. They stole the copper pipes and everything that could be sold at a flea market, except the books.

"The great books of Western Civilization that formed the core of my liberal arts education read differently at the end of my life than they did at its beginning.
[...]
"'I became lost in a dark forest.' Dante starts. We Americans, both as individuals and as a nation, have also lost our way. ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment