Published by the Center for the Study of The Great Ideas (founded in 1990 by Mortimer J. Adler and Max Weismann)
In association with the The Adler-Aquinas Institute and Aquinas School of Leadership
A Founding Member of the Alliance for Liberal Learning

Saturday, September 9, 2017

How I quit smoking and got a little smarter along the way

Ben Mayfield, Special to The Advocate (Baton Rouge).

"Then one day my secretary announced that Mr. Doe with 'The Great Books of the Western World' was here to see me. My former roommate had a set of the books which I enjoyed reading, and from that time on they were on my wish list. Mr. Doe explained that they had a three-year payment plan with monthly payments of $14.73. We had two small children and were living from payday to payday so I knew we could not justify the added financial burden.

"I was about to inform Mr. Doe that I couldn’t do it, when I had an epiphany. I think it was divine. The monthly payment was equivalent to my smoking cost, which was a budgeted item."

#education #habit #GreatBooksOfTheWesternWorld

No comments:

Post a Comment